Aug 15, 2012

Canon PowerShot S100 Review

Ken Rockwell ways the Canon S100 is the best compact digital camera ever made. That's good enough for me; I went out and bought one today. Yes, these are pricey little pocket-able cameras, coming in at $429 here in Canada. I got home, started charging the battery and here are my first impressions.

We need a little background. I own a Nikon D300 DSLR and a Canon G10. Both of these cameras are large, with big buttons and dials, and both have viewfinders. This little Canon ELPH S100 has no viewfinder, few (and small) buttons. Yes, I expect this will take some getting used to. None the less, this little pocket-rocket has some impressive features.
The HD video is surprisingly good. The image stabilization really kicks in and the ability to zoom while recording stereo sound kicks-ass.

CMOS sensor. Finally, low noise photos in a pocket-able camera. And some pretty decently high ISOs too.

GPS location tagging. Finally! I have wanted this for years.

I usually know in five minutes or less if I'm going to like a new gadget. After I get used to button placement, I am sure this is going to be the camera I carry around everywhere. I highly recommend you check out the S100. Click the image for info.


Canon PowerShot S100

S100 Features

  • 12.1 Megapixel CMOS sensor with the new DIGIC 5 Image Processor and up to ISO 6400.
  • Capture Full HD 1080p video in stereo sound with a dedicated movie button; zoom while shooting and play back videos on an HDTV via the HDMI output.
  • 5x Optical Zoom with 24mm wide angle f/2.0 lens.
  • Intelligent IS automatically chooses from six different modes to optimize image stabilization for the condition.
  • High-Speed Burst HQ allows for continuous capture at a maximum of 8 frames* and Super Slow Motion Movie records video at high speeds to allow playback in slow motion.
  • Full range of shooting and recording modes including RAW + JPEG, and a control ring for  manual adjustment.
  • Built-in GPS tracker records your location, and a logger allows easy viewing of the locations on a map to help you remember where images were taken.
  • Large 3.0-inch wide LCD.