Dec 3, 2004

A better carry-around lens for the Nikon D70

Rick Blythe

I bought the Nikon D70 digital camera with the kit lens, which I heard was a pretty decent lens. I'm talking about the 18-70/3.5-4.5 G IF-ED AF-S DX Nikkor Zoom Lens. As I got acustomed to the camera and it's abilities I soon realized this lens was a bit too wide for my liking for general walk about activities. It was my only lens as well as my budget will only allow me to add to my lens collection very slowly and selectively. Don't get me wrong, I was impressed by this lens but I wished for something a bit longer.

I have what I think is the perfect replacement, and it cost me nothing to boot. I listed my kit lens on eBay and got $275 for it. Pretty decent I think. It was used afterall, and I wasn't including the tulip lens hood which I sat on and broke :(

I then found my replacement on sale at the local camera shop: the 28-200/3.5-5.6 G ED lens. Bought it for $260 Canadian dollars. Not only does this lens perfectly fit my desire for a bit of zoom, but it is smaller and lighter than the kit lens as well. Here is one of my first shots taken from about 10 feet away.
click to see larger version
This lens also rocks as a macro lens - a real bonus for me as I take lots of nature shots, you know, flowers, bugs, small things.

I can seriously recommend this lens as a replacement for the kits lens, or as an additional one.