Nov 27, 2004

Camera, printer get big picture

Linda Knapp of The Seatle Times compares two Olympus digital cameras.

"I love my Olympus C-5050 Zoom camera with its 5 megapixels and 3x optical zoom lens. It shoots sharp photos that can fill an 8-1/2-by-11-inch page and stay sharp.

Even so, I like to see whats new (and maybe even better) in digital cameras. So, when Olympus came out with the C-7000 Zoom ($600) that's like the C-5050, but has 7.1 megapixels and a 5x optical zoom, I was eager to try it.

Lately, I've also been daydreaming about printing photos larger than the standard 8-1/2-by-11-inch size my current printers can manage. But to do that, I need a large-format printer and probably a camera that shoots images with more pixels to maintain sharpness when enlarged to 11 by 14 inches or larger. The Epson Stylus Photo ($400), for example, prints images up to 13 by 44 inches.

Naturally, it makes sense to try the C-7000 camera and the 1280 printer to find out how good super enlargements look when using a high-quality camera and printer designed and priced for serious amateur photographers.

When the camera arrives, I'm surprised to discover how small and light it is, even though it offers the full range of capabilities — from completely automatic to manually controlled, shutter speeds of 1/2000 to 15 seconds, an aperture range of f2.8 to f8, and a lens that zooms from 7.9 mm to 39.5 mm (38 mm to 190 mm on a 35-mm film camera). Plus, I really like the built-in lens cap that automatically opens and closes."
Read the whole article here..