Oct 11, 2004

Stop making the same stupid mistakes

by Rick Blythe
Since downloading the new ACDSee a few days back I have been going over a lot of my recent work categorizing, rating, and purging. I'm the only critic that I care about pleasing so gazing at my own work can be bittersweet. It's a lengthy exercise too, depending on how much patience I have. It gets boring after a while. But enough navel gazing, the real question is, have I learned anything? Have I improved at all over time?

Patterns of pure laziness emerge. Pushing the limit on hand-holding the camera at slower shutter speeds, and, what's worse, routinely trying to rescue marginally sharp images on the computer. Dumb, really dumb, since I own more than one tripod, a monopod, and know better.

Trying to "get it" in one shot. I sometimes surprise myself at how I do nail the shot in one take, but there are countless others that I missed. Out of focus, poorly framed or exposed. I just didn't take the time required to get it right. I almost always do this when taking insect macros, bird shots. I'll bet some of you know what I'm talking about here too.

Poor execution on this shot


I'm going to have to go back and try again, those that I can. The others are lost forever.