Oct 7, 2004

ACDSee 7 first impressions

by Rick Blythe
2004.10.07

I've had a chance now to play with the new version (7) of ACDSee and I can tell you I am very impressed.

I downloaded the software via a link in an email I recieved from them and proceeded to the checkout with a bundle including ACDSee 7 and ACDSee photoPro. Instantly I had the installer in my hands. The main ACDSee program came as a regular setup program while photoPro is just a plug-in so adding that was a matter of entering in my provided license key and restarting the program. I little clunky but it worked.

I have been a user of ACDSee 5 for a few years now so I was used to a great interface and lots of speed. Well, I can tell you that this version is faster, more intelligent, and just plain better than version5. I am glad I made the $50 plunge. Already I have my user interface customized just the way I like it. When I click and image to view it I want to see both a histogram and the EXIF info displayed. And I want the interface to remember my preferences. That it does. This was my acid test. Also, I might actually start using some of their photo enhancing tools as they seem much more sophisticated than earlier versions. I have USM now. I have 48 bit colour. I have RAW. I have noise reduction.

Kudos go to ACDSee Systems for this release.